The South Australian winegrape crush was 941,113 tonnes in 2021. This was the largest crush ever recorded for the state, 45% above the very low 2020 crush of 651,195 tonnes and 28% above the 10-year average (2011-2020) of 736,149 tonnes.
That’s according to the 2021 South Australian Winegrape Crush Survey Report, which was released this month by Wine Australia and can be found here. Vinehealth Australia contributed aggregated and deidentified vineyard planting data from our South Australian Vineyard Register for the report.
This important industry document is an essential planning reference and includes:
- State summary statistics by region and variety;
- Planting details for the state and large regions;
- Historical trends and comparisons with previous vintages;
- Regional vintage statistics by variety; and
- Average purchase value per tonne for each variety, and total value of the crush in reported regions.
Other key stats from the report
- The top three regions by volume were the Riverland with 558,252 tonnes, Barossa Valley (including Barossa zone other) which crushed 61,410 tonnes, and Langhorne Creek with 53,523 tonnes.
- The total estimated value of the crush was $827 million compared with $556 million in 2020, reflecting the increased volume.
- Weighted average prices for the top red variety in all the major regions generally decreased.
- Weighted average prices for the top white variety in all major regions generally increased.
- Over the previous year, the net area under vine increased by 169 hectares, to a total area of 76,177 hectares.
- Almost all the new plantings were red varieties, with Shiraz making up half of all new plantings followed by Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Riesling was the most planted white variety by area.
- The largest area of new plantings in the state was in the Padthaway wine region, followed by the Barossa Valley.
To access the 2021 Report and previously published reports, click here.
All vintage survey data from 2015 onwards is now also available on the new Wine Australia interactive Vintage Survey Dashboard. This dashboard provides national, state and regional vintage crush figures by volume and value, detailed tables on crush by variety and region, as well as average weighbridge purchase value by variety and region including price dispersion. The dashboard does not require a login to access.
If you have questions about the South Australian Winegrape Crush Survey, contact Peter Bailey at Wine Australia via email email@example.com or phone (08) 8228 2000.